Satellite
  • Day 28

    All "cold" things have to come to an end

    December 16, 2018 in India ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    So today we are going to attempt to book last minute trains, which is supposedly very difficult. All we know is that on the 17th we need to be in Dehli by 4pm for our train to Mumbai. Rishikesh is about 300km from Dehli. So hear goes! We checked out of our hotel in hope that it was all going to go smoothly and then went for breakfast. We were so eager to get on with our day that our normal Paratha or chai man hadn't setup yet! We went to another chai man until breakfast was ready and then we had our last yummy aloo paratha. It's sooo good! Why do people in the UK not have this for breakfast?!

    We had to kill time till about 11am which is when the Taktal foreigner day before train ticket window opens,so we went back to our coffee place with a gorgeous view and enjoyed a coffee with a view of the Ganges while reading our books. When 11am struck we jumped onto our phones and after a bit of too and froing we booked a train ticket from Haridwar to Dehli for tomorrow morning in hope of little delay so we can make our Mumbai train. After such relief we just relaxed for the rest of the day and enjoyed our views and the atmosphere of rishikesh. Will got his hair cut I read 50% of my book and then we had a yummy falafel dinner before heading to Haridwar for the evening.

    In the evening when getting a tuk tuk to Haridwar we had heard there are local tuk tuks a bit like uber pool so you can share them, so we went in search of these. When we found them we asked the price and obviously they just made up a price. I said OK ok and then happily asked the locals what the real price was. They happily told me and were angry that we were being charged different and told us to only pay the same and walk off. Easier said than done sometimes! Anyway we got in the tuk tuk and wow how many people can you fit in a car... Supposedly 10 including a driver!!! Let's just say the next hour was horrifically uncomfortable but it got us straight to our hotel and for barely any cost. So it worked out OK in the end. When we arrived at Haridwar it was really bustling! I was gutted to have already had dinner as the street food smelled lovely! Instead we checked in, Skyped with the family and eventually got to bed ready for our early morning.
    Read more