Satellite
  • Day 3

    Coral Castle and Florida Keys

    July 17, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Auf dem Weg zu den Florida Keys habe ich Station am Coral Castle gemacht. Die Broschüre schreibt hierzu:
    "You are about to see an engineering marvel that has been compared with Stonehenge and the Great Pyramids of Egypt. In 1984, The Coral Castle was placed in the National Register of Historical Places. The Coral Castle, originally called "Rock Gate Park", is the story of Ed Leedskalnin, a 5 foot tall, 100 pound Latvian immigrant who, spurned by the love of his life, without any help, using only simple tools, many of them homemade, excavated, carved and moved tons of coral rock. Ed's ways were mysterious - in the 20 years he spent building in Florida City and Homestead, not a single person has reported seeing him work - to this date many of his building secrets are still unknown! When asked how he was able to move blocks of coral weighing 120 pounds per cubic foot, Ed would say only that he understood the law of weight and leverage."
    Es war echt beeindruckend und unter der glühenden Sonne Floridas auch sehr schweißtreibend, dieses Wunderwerk der menschlichen Schaffenskraft zu besichtigen.
    Danach ging es über West Palm Springs nach Key Largo an den Strand.
    Read more