Satellite
  • Day 20

    Have a magical day!

    October 10, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We were up early again this morning and breakfasting like kings on danishes from 7-Eleven. Then we packed our essential supplies; sunscreen, cash, magic bands, water and my camera gimbal before sauntering down to the dock beside our hotel to await the first ferry of the morning.

    In no time we were on board and cruising across the lake to the Magic Kingdom. Now this is how to arrive at a theme park! The only disappointment was not seeing any gators in the water, but that's probably for the best, as last year one killed a small child in this lake.

    Once again we were in the park for rope drop. Now this being Disney's marquee park it was no ordinary rope drop. The mouse himself greeted us outside Cinderella's castle and officially opened the park for the day with some magic and fireworks, before all decorum was lost amid a frenzied scramble to beat the crowds to the rides. We legged it to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and in a mere twenty minutes were careening through canyons, down mineshafts and around gulches.

    Our first Fastpass of the day was the Jungle Cruise, where we saw lots of hippos, some of them were even in the jungle. The others seemed to be in Disney cast member uniforms. There was about an hour wait between Fastpasses, so while Jean rode Space Mountain, which makes me violently ill, I rode the People Mover, which is a great but sedate means of viewing Tomorrowland.

    Staying in Tomorrowland we went all Toy Story and took a spin on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

    After four hours of roaming the park and enjoying the heat and humidity we adjourned to the hotel for lunch and a break. I hit the gym to try and combat some of the effects of my prodigious American calorie intake. I fear 90 minutes on the treadmill and bike may be just trying to hold back the sea with a bucket as I find American food to be my kryptonite.

    Workout complete we braced ourselves for another assault on the Magic Kingdom and caught the next ferry to the park. We arrived just in time to use our last Fastpass of the day and first new ride for this park, the Seven Dwarfs (that's not a spelling mistake, it's how Americans spell it) Mine Train. The standby queue for this was 140 minutes! Even with a Fastpass it took us 20 minutes to get on the ride.

    It's a fun, fast and exciting themed ride, albeit short, but I guess considering the ride theme I should have expected it to be a little short (Dad joke there).
    After a quick feed of more gourmet American food it was time for the fireworks which was the perfect opportunity to squeeze another ride in while everyone else was looking up and going 'ooohhh pretty'.

    We rode the Pirates of the Caribbean, which is shorter than its Disneyland counterpart and then finished the Magic Kingdom visit with the ultimate thrill ride, 'It's a small world'.

    Loaded with adrenaline and all walked out we flowed with the throng through the gates and voyaged across the lagoon to the Wilderness Lodge and a well earned sleep.

    Tomorrow it's Star Wars time at Hollywood Studios.
    Read more