Satellite
  • Day 20

    when meeting some snow by mistake...

    November 20, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 1 °C

    20th november 2019

    When hooking up ‚Santos‘ this morning we had no idea what awaits us later this day.... 🤦‍♀️

    A mug full of wake-up-coffe and a dog full of energy is a good start in the day.
    The Iphone knowingly stowed in the shirt pocket, we went for one last time into the nature reserve directly behind our trailer.
    Heidi loved it to be free here, chasing some rabbits and snooping around.

    Back on our parking lot the Airstream was routinely made ready for travel and a short time later we drove on highway #97 towards our next destination: ‚Crater Lake‘.

    It‘s a smooth ride southwards on #97 till you cross the junction with #138
    which then becomes a nice scenic route leading through the Crater Lake National Park.

    We reserved our overnight stay wisely a couple of days before cause ‚Crater Lake RV Park‘ is a very small, family operated park.
    When entering the maingate it quickly turned out that the reservation was completely unnecessary.
    We were the only guests, totally out of season.

    The park is one of the most beautiful spots we stayed in the past!
    Only 6 full hook up spots, all facing to a little crystal clear river where you see beavers building dams.
    You can grab a canoe to explore the area or make a walk on spiry pathes.
    The wooden hut which hosts the check in and a little country mart as well
    offers a small choice of food and of course chilly beer.

    So we stocked up our beer inventory locked the Airstream and drove up the curvy mountain road to explore the

    UNBELIEVABLE CRATER LAKE

    While climbing up more and more feet the roadside „chains needed“-signs became more and more frequent.
    Hmm,🤔 we never prepared the Chevy for any icy conditions...!
    Anyway, let‘s continue - the lake waits.
    Well, the last 8 miles on the winding road where actually covered with a thin layer of white but that wasn‘t an issue for the van.
    We are running Baja tires on both axles which means the truck can handle nearly everything!

    Then, passing one of the last curves, we entered a speechlessly a kind of fairytale world!

    A couple on hundred feed down the stunning lake lay nestled in companionship of the white winter-wonderland mountains.
    It was really glowing!
    Think we never saw such a blueish color before in our lifes.
    Unbelievable! Incredible! Awesome! [...]

    Heidi, grown up in sunny Yucatan, enjoyed the deep and fluffy snow as her biggest playground ever. So much fun.
    We had a great‘n cold day exploring the area around the Rim Village Visitors Center.

    Back at our homebase we switched our little heater in the Airstream to maximum and dreamed of some authentic german ‚Glühwein‘....
    Read more