Satellite
  • Day 71

    Trujillo and Northern Peru

    February 23, 2015 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    After two and a half months of no time pressure and complete freedom to choose how long long we want to stay in one place and where to go next...the clock now is really ticking: on the 27.02 we have to catch our flight from Guayaquil to the Galapagos Islands. That's why we have decided for a small serious of overnight buses to cross northern Peru, spending our nights on the road trying to catch some sleep and spending our days fighting the sleep and discovering the unknown territory. in Trujillo we arrived at 5:00am in the morning, waiting for the sun to come up. We organized our escape to the north for the next night, and headed out to city center to find the so called tours, we decided for a hit-and-run- archeology experience.
    first we traveled to the pyramid of the moon, built by the Moche culture and between 200 and 600, an extraordinary complex,that impresses with 30 meter high walls, painted with bright colors and exquisite figures. in the afternoon, we traveled to Chan Chan, a city that was built between 600 and 1450. the area is more than 22 square kilometers big, making it the biggest ancient city on the entire american continent, and the largest adobe city in the world. the palace of the governor, beautifully restored amazes with sheer size and unique architecture. After the hardcore archeology program we even had a bit of time left to go to the beach and watch the sunset, while some Peruvians where riding primitive surfboards made of dried grass, like their ancestors had been doing for hundreds of years. a quick, light dinner in the beautiful colonial old town of Trujillo...and back to the terminal, for another night on the road...always up north.
    Read more