Satellite
  • Day 69

    The Big City

    March 10, 2016 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We finally made it to Nairobi! Truth be told, there isn't much "touristy" things to do here, but we're using it as our base to book Jack's hike and our safari to the Masai Mara. As we've mentioned, these countries aren't built for independant travellers. We stayed in the town that's at the base of Mount Elgon and we still couldn't find an agency to organize the hike, it's all done from Nairobi. So today's goal is to find a tour agency that will be keeping us busy for the next week or so.

    Getting here went smoother then I thought. We woke up this morning and waited for the man that had said he was also going to Longonot (old extinct volcano) today, and would give us a ride. By 9am, we knocked on his door and his friend was still asleep... So that didn't work out, but we took a chance. Having that ride would have saved us 2 buses and a long walk to the park gates. So 2 buses later, and a long walk half way to the gates (a mototaxi met us along the way to drive us to the gate), we arrived at Longonot National Park. Zebras and giraffes were at the base, but we were there for the hike not the furrys!

    The hike up is said to be steep and strenuous. They were right. It was just an hour long, but we were sweaty and out of breath by the top. The views along the way and obviously at the top were breath taking. The crater was 2 km wide covered in big beautiful green trees. We started the 2-2.5 hour walk around the crater but there were so many little flies forming clouds around us that it was no longer enjoyable, so we turned back around a third in. We went down in half the time it took to go up.

    Hiking is funny to me. Jack gets this sense of satisfaction. She likes hiking mountains, getting to views, pushing herself physically... I have no particular interest in exhausting myself to go up a mountain only to return back down. Going down a mountain I just climbed is insulting to me, all my hard work erased. I'd rather have a motortaxi bring me to the top. Lol. That is why Jack will probably do her multi day hike without me. It's a lot of money to spend on something I don't really enjoy. I think I enjoyed the Siemens so much because it wasn't really uphill, it was just across mountains.

    Anywho, post hike we prep ourselves for the 4 km walk back to the main road carrying our backpacks, and a few minutes into it, Nelson passed by and offered us a ride to town! Well, we waved him down, but he accepted! On route we chatted about us going to Nairobi and he actually drove us 2 towns over to get the bus to Nairobi! Otherwise, it would have been 2 buses again. He was great! Honestly the first Kenyan to offer us help and not require anything in return.

    We were of course warned that Nairobi was expensive.... But damn! We've averaged 500-600 KSh for a room... But we had to walk around and ask for help for 1.5 hours yesterday to find something at 2000. That's the best we can do, and it's central, and one of the prettiest rooms we've had yet! I guess staying downtown means you have to up your game!

    Walking through Nairobi was actually pretty quiet... It's a huge city, but doesn't feel that huge. We chatted with people along the way, and were warned by everyone to find a place before it gets dark and not to leave it... Seems a little intense of a warning. Of course, Jack feels like it's just another big city and she isn't phased by any of it. She wanted to explore the town last night. I convinced her to head home. We went to diner at the corner of the street and carried only the cash required for diner. No trouble at all along the way. We bought a bottle of wine across the street so I could enjoy half of my chocolate bar... Mmm... I kept the other half to go with a latte tomorrow. Yep, I've got plans for my chocolate!
    Read more