Satellite
  • Day 1

    First impressions

    April 11, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ -1 °C

    Just the drive up to PA from Saskatoon was already confirming - I'm not home anymore! People say the prairies are flat, but boy they weren't kidding! Ottawa doesn't have the biggest hills or any mountains really, but it has enough to make it look textured, or the illusion of rolling hills... But here, flat. Flat, flat, flat. A speed bump would be a welcomed change in altitude! Since it's post-winter, the fields are endless views of yellow. Nothing interesting, nothing growing, just lots of yellow. Our bus from Saskatoon to PA would stop in these miniature towns along the way, not picking up anyone really...

    Arriving in PA was a bit of shocker - its a city. It's a small city, but it's a city. Not a single building over 3 floors high, yet bigger town then we expected. The roads, much like my dad warned, are all 4 lanes wide despite the lack of any cars on them, it just makes it longer to walk. The parking lots go on for miles in front of stores, despite them being empty. This is definitely a driving town. But still - everything we need is a short walk away! I would say about 80-85% of the vehicles are either SUVs or pickup trucks. Pickup trucks being most of those.

    We had a training today for non violent intervention with violent patients, and at one point we had to act out scenarios. Long story short - one of the women there, probably the most typically small town lady I've seen yet (curly mullet and over sized t-shirt) was repeating "I want to go home" over and over again. When she was finally asked why she responded "I miss my cows". And that ladies and gents and in between, is how you know you've exited the city.

    Small towns also brings on small town sensitivity training, or lack thereof. During the training today Jack kept having to bite her tongue at moments such as the presenter saying "like if you don't want negative attention, don't wear tight scrubs pants, or low cut shirts, and watch how you bend over". Talk about victim blaming. I had more trouble with the lack of inclusiveness of the presenter. I mean, I'm in the room - he's got a pretty clear clue that he needs to be inclusive and yet at one point he turned to the one cis-man in the room and asked if he had kids, to which the cis-man says no. The presenter goes on to say that means he's the only one in the room who would understand how it is to feel hopeless watching your wife deliver a baby. I almost wished I had kids in that moment. Almost.

    That being said, my first 24 hours here has been great! I haven't felt judged at all, haven't felt threatened. We have a roommate in our apartment who happens to be Muslim from Somalia and she's fantastic! It could have gone much worse. Super friendly, we had drinks together, she has a wonderful laugh. Tonight she even said our relationship (Jack and I) reminded her of her relationship with her husband (currently in Kenya). That to me means she's acknowledging the relationship and is ok with it enough to compare it to her own. This is great!

    The apartment is 2 bedrooms plus a TV room plus sunroom. It's actually massive. Living and dining room. Fully equipped kitchen. We have a huge master bedroom with walk in closet and personal washroom. 15 min walk to work. And the cherry on top - there's an indoor pool and sauna and hot tub. Booya! We're actually having 4 friends over for a pool party tonight! We made friends!

    Granted, this is a 24 hour impression - but so far, no intimidation! The people I met at the training, or the people I'm crossing paths with, or Gwen who showed us the apartment, have all been really nice. Friendly smiles, no awkward looks. So far, so good. Not even the typical "don't worry, I'm not homophobic" conversations, just nothing. No issues. That's 24 hours in.

    I'm excited for this bit of time - starting in the emergency Thursday. Plenty of things to do. Making friends already. This is good!
    Read more