Satellite
  • Day 2

    "...there lived a people..."

    October 23, 2016 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    So no joke, the first question I received after clearing Customs and meeting up with the pre-arranged taxi service was...

    "So why are you trrraveleeng alone? The others arrre trrraveleeng with theirrrr husbands and cheel-dreen."

    Luckily, my homework paid off and I was able to deflect the question about my children being in university and husband busy with work.

    We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto.

    Don't get me wrong. The gentleman was very pleasant when he asked, but (thank you internet research) I knew that even though the UAE is more progressive, it is still a very patriarchal society here. I was prepared and that certainly helped.

    Leaving the airport reminded me very much of flying into Orlando. Well kept highways and palm trees. Nice that they drive on the correct side of the road too.

    The temperature is a lovely 76 degrees with 48% humidity. Down right pleasant. Our host office arranged for us to stay at a 4 star hotel for the whopping price of $85 per night. Even though the dirham is tied to the dollar the cost of living here is actually quite reasonable. One USD equals three dirham.

    Oil money subsidizes many things here.

    I just passed the Grand Mosque and it is stunning at night, all lit up. It literally looks like something out of Scheherazade's 1001 Arabian nights. We were going too fast to get pictures, but I'll be visiting on Thursday so I'll get some then.

    Well, it's been a long day and morning comes early in he desert.
    Read more