Satellite
  • Day 10

    Copenhagen, Denmark

    September 11, 2019 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    I walked by the river with idea to climb the tower of Christiansborg as the weather was very good this morning. It says to be one of the best view of Copenhagen but unfortunately the elevator was broken, the only way to reach the top of this tower...
    A little bit disappointed but not discouraged, i walked until the new library of Copenhagen a very modern building made of glass also called the black diamond.
    I then went to eat a cinnamon bun, a speciality from Denmark.
    After this regain of energy I could walk to the Rosenborg castle and enjoy its very green park. Behind this castle there is the botanic park where I took a round it was really pretty and relaxing. I took a lunch break in a food market some blocks away from the park, where I could found a smørrebrød, which is another Danish specialty, consisting in a sort of toast with lots of things on top and very well presented.
    I then had to go back to the hostel and move to another one. I then came back to the first hostel where a free walking tour to Christiana was starting. The tour took us through Copenhagen explaining the architecture and history of it and after explaining the history of Christiana the guide let us at its doors. There is an agreement between the tourists guides and the citizens of Christiana to not have the tour within the city. Christiana is an independent city in Copenhagen. They are politically independent, they takes there decisions unanimously which must not be easy in a city of 800 inhabitants. They also have their own school but they depend on Copenhagen for the hospitals, electricity, water and the garbage collection. When you enter in Christiana you discover a very unique place with lots of graphs and some surprising architecture. It is unfortunately forbidden to take pictures inside which is totally understandable regarding on the quantity of tourists going to visit the city.
    Read more