Satellite
  • Day 142

    Sarria - July 21

    July 21, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    July 21

    We have been walking for a month! Only 11.5 miles today through more beautiful countryside. The hike went by easily even though we climbed a bunch more and then had to descend steeply at times. It was a relaxing hike...farms, cows, roosters, foggy air, and good company.

    Quite a few from our group walked a little further than we did today, so it’s possible we won’t see them until Santiago...hoping sooner, but we will see 🙂

    We rented a room in an apartment right near the older part of town, and Alan was excited to see they were having an urban downhill bike event. After sharing a huge pizza, we walked along the route and watched the riders zoom down stairs, around corners, and over jumps...very cool!

    Now that we are in Sarria, we have to get two stamps a day in our pilgrim passports to earn our Compostela (The “Compostela“ is the accreditation/certificate of the pilgrimage to the Tomb of St. James). A lot of people start here in Sarria because you must walk at least 100 kilometers to earn a Compostela. Since the number of pilgrims has now really increased, we made the decision to just book our own place to stay for the rest of the way, so then we can walk without worrying about getting a bed 🛏.

    Can’t believe we will see the 100 kilometers left mark tomorrow! When you start something that is 800 kilometers long, it seems the end will never happen. I will try to remember to take a picture of it.
    Read more