Satellite
  • Hvammstangi

    July 27, 2021 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 46 °F

    We had a five hour drive from Isafjordur all along the fjords to Hvammstangi today. We were blessed with sunshine as we weaved our way along the water and had magnificent views of the mountains nearby and far off in the distance. I attempted to use the drone since the wind was calm but we were attacked by midges. We’ve decided the wind is a good thing if it keeps those pesky bugs away. 🙂 Maybe drone footage won’t happen this trip, we’ll see.

    We stopped at a small turf roofed house called the Litlibær Café and had yummy grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Adorning the wooden walls inside are pictures of families past who used to live in the turf house. Some of the people represented on the photos are the ancestors of the family who currently own the house.

    Today was all about the drive…admiring the cascading waterfalls through gorges, dodging the sheep along the roads and stopping to get close ups of some Icelandic horses.

    We are camped in Hvammstangi, which is the seal capital of iceland (maybe tomorrow we will see some). Near our campsite is the Kirkjuhvammur church. Kirkjuhvammur was an assembly place in 1406 and a place of farming. Farming stopped here in the 1940’s, but the 1882 church is still standing.
    Read more