Satellite
  • Day 1

    in Beijing day 1

    November 4, 2017 in China ⋅ 🌙 4 °C

    So after a final spectacular scene from the plane window we landed at Beijing. it is unsurprisingly huge and so the queue for "foreigners" was long but relatively quick only about 30 minutes. There was a slight moment of excitement when we realised we needed to complete an arrivals card and we were now onlt 5 olaces from immigration. No one tells you about the cards, there are no signs just a discrete heap on a table just next to the queue....nearly a nightmare ..if we'd have been sent back arrgh. Then baggage claim and a chaotic customs scan. then we couldnt find our greeter, and then an epic traffic jam into Beijijng. so despite having landed ant 4 it was 7:30 before were ready to hit the streets.
    We walked back from the hotel to the peoples freedom road (?) where there were some tableau celebrating the 68th anniversary of the PRC, fabulous - i think I like the silk road camels best. the Freedom roadwas enormous 10 lanes wide. we then wandered back to our hotel where we decided to hit the noodle bar as we only wanted a snack. of course what we got were two huge bowls - wanton noodles for Dad, speciality lamb for me. Not much lamb but packed with chilli and barberries - yum.
    Now back in our room, thin walls but well appointed, smells rather bordello like at the moment as Dads aftershavw has leaked and we are airing everything off....
    Read more