Satellite
  • Day 3

    Arsinoe Museum and Aphrodites Baths

    May 4, 2018 in Cyprus ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    After the pleasure of an alfresco breakfast we headed off out of paphos towards Polis and Aphrodites baths. Although it wasn't far the drive was pretty slow so it took quite a while to get there. Paddy had been 20 years ago and recalled a deserted spot with a Grotto and castle ruins. In the intervening years however it had obviously hit the tourist list, there were cars and coaches everywhere. The Grotto was now accessed through botanical gardens, that were scorched by the heat. The tiny Grotto was full of people and the unusually hot weather +30C meant that no one fancied the 2.5km walk to the castle. At the car park we bought fruit from a man with a van (a sack of local tangerines for 1e) and headed back along the coast to Polis.
    We parked up near a craft shop and Paddy, Libby, Margaret, Moira and Beth were all straight in there. Libby and Moira were really pleased to discover that the owner was from Helensburgh (where they live). It wasn't a great surprise Southern Cyprus feels more British than Greek government generally.
    We then walked down to the little Arsinoe Museum which was small but beautifully done. Lots of interesting figurines, pots, funerary items and a life size phallic "icon" at least that was what the label said. Margaret and I were less convinced that it was just an icon......

    Back to the car to a restaurant that Isabel had a recommendation for, apparently it has a great terrace overlooking the sea and did fabulous fish meze. After a little wandering down tiny roads we found the place..just as a fierce wind rose. It was far to windy to sit on the terrace we'd have been blown away. Slightly sadly we went inside, fortunately although the weather was against us the food was great, fabulous moussaka for me and Paddy various fishy delights for everyone else. This was a late lunch though; about 3.30 by the time we ate.

    After we had finished of course the wind died away again and the terrace was occupied by happy diners. We hopped back in the car to go back to the hotel. A swim and a sunny read before we met up again.
    We were all too full to manage any proper food so we had sandwiches from the bar and did Paddy's American themed quiz which was good fun.
    Read more