Satellite
  • Day 5

    Kourion

    May 6, 2018 in the United Kingdom ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Another day another set of remains. An earlier breakfast and off along the motorway to Kourion which is near Akrotiri. We were going to go to another site, Choirokoitia, which is almost back at Larnaca. But there was some concern that it would take too long to get there, based on our previous experiences. However in the event the motorway was almost empty and enabled us to cover the distance quickly.

    Kourion is principally a Roman site with a few other remains. It is high up on the hilside overlooking the sea. This was a well tended site with the best remains protected by screening and again there were some beautiful mosaics. The weather was slightly less scorching but still walking around a pale limestone site was a hot glaring experience. Margaret and I were keeping an eye out for broken ceramic remains and as usual found some pot sherds left in the path rubble.

    Afterwards we headed back into Episkopi to find the Kourion Museum... We did but it was closed. We're then decided to to find lunch by the beach but after spending rather along time driving around the Akrotiri peninsula past the RAF base and the saltlake without ever getting near the coast we gave up and headed back to Paphos. On the drive back to the motorway we realised that the roads to the coast were all MOD property and prohibited... Thats why we couldn't get to the coast.

    Back in Paphos we headed to a cafe /bar by the hotel for lunch Cyprus dips for me; tatziki, tahini, hummus, taramasalta... 😀.
    After our late lunch we had some downtime before meeting for dinner. For dinner we went to the trip advisor recommended For... Margaret, Libby, Paddy and I decided to have the meze. It started well, more Cyprus dips but with the addition of spiced feta. Then the onslaught started, lemon chicken, pork skewers, the most gorgeous kofta, chicken skewers, marinated pork medallions, and then we were stuffed and the food stopped arriving.... For a moment, then beef sifado appeared and a huge plate of chips. We groaned but politely made an attempt... Then we had a delivery of pork souvlaki and moussaka. The moussaka was lovely but we were stuffed and slightly hysterical (we'd had a similar food avalanche in Kyrinia a couple of years ago). Fabulous food but so much of it.
    Back to the hotel for a quick quiz provided by Margaret... Which tested our current affairs knowledge and our knowledge of the sites we've visited this week. Moira, Libby and I just squeaked it at 19 (compared with 18 for Beth, Paddy and Danny)
    Read more