Satellite
  • Day 31

    The end of the road

    April 10, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Australia’s most southern point you can access by car and the most southern point you can hike to. So this is where you can still life a “I don’t bother you if you don’t bother me” kinda live. At least some of the houses looked completely self sustained.
    We left Hobart after a nice swim in the local pool down south. The drive took us through Franklin. A lovely little town with a nice camp spot, a blues bar, whole food stores and super friendly people sitting right next to the Huon river. Definitely worth a stop over on a weekend. (Jo says: many places down this road seemed lovely. We even tried to have a look at an off grid house that was for sale, but unfortunately no one was home)
    After Ida Bay, the last small village we went through, 20km of dirt road took us to Cockle Creek. White beaches, free camping and a lovely couple taking care of the campsite put us in a really good mood for the hike on the next day. While Cockle Creek is the start of the multi-day South Cape walk we decided to only embark on the first (or last) part of it, a 3.5h return walk to the south cape, the most southern point you can walk to in Australia.
    Starting through bush and then over a board walk traversing swamp plains, the track ended at the rough and beautiful cape. Just the thought that the next stop is Antarctica was worth the walk. We were actually closer to Antarctica than Cairns! (Jo says: but the different terrains, the views and the constant chirping of birds that accompanied us were amazing, too!)
    The weather was working in our favour and we actually got quite hot in the autumn sun on our way back. Hence upon return at the campsite we took a quick dip into the water that actually felt like straight from the Antarctica. (Jo says: for once I actually didn’t feel as cold as Tom.) But it was also some of the clearest waters I ever had the pleasure to swim in.
    Afterwards we jumped back into Hans and headed off back to Franklin where we stayed the night.
    Next we’re off to Strathgordon to take a look a Mt Wedge and see whether we’ll hike up.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Read more