Satellite
  • Day 34

    Mount Wedge

    April 13, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    As mentioned in the last footprint we headed to the West of Tasmania towards Strathgordon. The journey was definitely not in vain! The landscape of mountains, lakes and forests really reminded me of Norway and New Zealand. (Jo says: SO beautiful, especially in the Autumn sun).
    We followed the suggestion of a fellow Troopcarrier traveller we had met in Hobart and went to an abandoned campsite next to the Sentinel Range. And it was perfect! We reversed Hans close to the existing shelter (wich had a fireplace!!) and made it our living room and kitchen for two days. We even made use of the most unnecessary and ridiculous piece of equipment we packed into Hans: The projector. Laugh all you want, having a private cinema in the middle of nowhere with a fireplace in the back and a wine in my hand was an awesome feeling! The photo doesn’t do any justice.
    The next day we went on my, so far, favourite hike in Australia up Mt Wedge. Since the track used to be closed or maybe still is, we were all by ourselves on a path that hadn’t seen many people in a while. Even on a Saturday!
    Hence, half of the track had us bush bashing uphill towards the summit. It started however in a beautiful forest full of moss and fungi.
    And then we finally found it. For weeks Jo and her sister were looking for an infamous little blue fungus. On this hike, the search was accomplished. (see photo).
    After the bush bashing we had to scramble for another 20min and then reached the peak of mount Wedge. (Jo says: two “fake” peaks almost made me loose my motivation. I was so hungry! But the scramble was worth to keep going) The amazing view over lake Gordon and lake Pebble rewarded us for any scratches. Wow!
    Back down, we headed West on the Gordon road which ends at the breathtaking Gordon dam. Holy crap! I know dams always cause discussions and protests, but forgetting about that for a second, that engineering marvel looks amazing!

    Of course, we couldn’t help but stay at the shelter for one more night before heading on towards lake St Claire.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Read more