Satellite
  • Day 161

    Sunday animal market

    August 18, 2019 in Kyrgyzstan ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    About 25km from Osh towards the East, close to a small village, a flat ground turns into a lively livestock marketplace every Sunday morning. Hundreds of sheep, goats, cattle and horses exchange their owners here. As it is a part of the local culture, we definitely wanted to go to have a look.
    Hence we all get up early and jump into a small cab, arranged by the owner of our stay. The initial confusion about where we want to go and the distance to the place is quickly overcome and all six of us find space in Ella's tiny car. Our driver is a 40year old women with a liking for loud Russian pop music. It seems like she is quite fond of the lot in her cab as shortly after we leave the city, she offers to guide us through the market and then take us back again. Another example of just how friendly the people are. And of course an offer we can't decline.
    Having Ella with us works out to be a treat. She makes sure we stay safe and together and translates whenever needed in the busy aisles of the market.
    Exchanging livestock is definitely men's business. Hands are held and strongly shaken until the right price has been negotiated. Sometimes up to six parties are involved. While this is fun to watch, sadly the conditions for the animals look quite harsh. It's not unusual for sheep and goats to be put into a trunk for example and not all the owners have the patience to kindly ask their livestock to move ahead. I guess my sweet whispers and gently pets were mostly laughed about. Maybe that's one of the reasons for there being so few women around? I'd still like to believe that setting a good example might help somehow...
    After a good hour of people and animal watching, we make our way back, head filled with another lot of busy citylife impressions before we take off to the mountains.
    Read more