Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 8: Troyes - Sommeval

    August 20, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Distance: 23.3KM (176.3/1823. 7)
    Weather: 18-24C, cloudy with patchy rain and sunny spells
    Mood: Started out a bit down, ending on a high
    Blisters: 4 (recovery mode)

    When blue turns yellow

    It was one of those days where everything was bound to go wrong. Packing up took ages, despite me waking up spectacularly early and my feet felt painful and heavy from the very first step as if I hadn't given them any rest. Of course I took a few wrong turns, the hot chocolate I made was pretty much disgusting and after that it started to rain, so when I felt one of my blisters pop within less then 3k I thought I was going to give up early today. I thought, well clearly after each good day comes a bad one.
    And then it struck me that I was initiating this negative chain of events by negative thoughts and energy and what if I decided to make this my best day yet?
    When a woman offered me lunch after I sat down in the grass at about 15k, without really needing to, I started to believe a little in the magic of the camino. After lunch my feet felt light and I walked the next 9.5k within 2 hours. I arrived at a little pilgrim gite which the community of Sommeval keeps clean and ready for free. I decided to stay the night (even though I'd set my mind om reaching a campsite 8.5k further along) and within 30 minutes it started to bucket down with rain. Today was as it was meant to be and it felt a little bit magical...
    Read more