Satellite
  • Day 50

    Day 48: Zumaia - Markina

    October 1, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Distance: 35.7 (1210.1/769.9)
    Weather: 25C, sunny and cloudy later
    Mood: Strong and happy!
    Blisters: 0
    Staying at: Pitis Hostel

    In awe of nature!

    This was definitely the most beautiful landscape I've seen sofar and at the same time the physically most challenging walk. Up and down and up and down for about 1600m up and down again over 32km (I found an ingenious shortcut again, but soon steep!)
    I was joined by the German Eva, Lithuanian Justin as and Korean Pacman (not his real name). We took the alternative coast route, which led to the stunning views of Flysch cause by erosion of the sea. My German ebook mentioned the track, but warned it was difficult and no other guide indicated that e it in any way and believe me... It was HARD! I don't think I've ever sweated so much, but it was worth it.
    Unfortunately, we still had another difficult part to go, a 500m climb and a very steep descent... About 9km before the endpoint we met some German guys, who were shocked to hear we were doing in one day what they were planing for two days. They said those 9km took them 6 hours and we only had 4 till sunset!
    Of course we made it just before the last daylight had faded and a choir received us into town with some singing. Out spirits and energy were so high that even a full hostel couldn't put a damper on the mood. We were strong, powerful and unstoppable! An unforgettable day on my camino, that taught me how lows can easily be followed by highs and that a human body can do so much more than we think....
    Read more