Satellite
  • Day 10

    Day 8: Hakone

    April 19, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Finished up the morning in Sou-on-zen. We had an awesome breakfast and Maisie and I got to go for one more dip in our private "onsen" before we left. It was nice to see the view in the daylight this time.

    Also- I french braided her hair for the first time today. It turned out better than expected.

    Then we headed to the Hakone Open-Air Museum. We really didn't know what to expect but had heard lots of great things about it from other tourists. It's pretty much a really ginormous sculpture garden - with installations and visual art from artist all over the world - and it's all set on the beautiful mountain grounds of Hakone. Probably the best art installation museum I've ever been to... And I've been to a lot. There were SO many great ones, but I've just posted the ones that I fell in love with. Great inspiration for my next projects.

    Once we left Hakone- we headed back to Tokyo/Shinagawa. Got to visit with my grandma and aunts and uncles before we leave and walked around where my mom grew up, which was nice.

    For dinner we went to a "kaiten sushi" restaurant which is where they have a revolving belt weaving through the entire restaurant with counter and booths connected to them and you just take a plate if you see something you want to eat. Of course they had every type of sushi, and more! Including dessert! It's kind of a novel experience but a great part of Japanese culture since they are everywhere! Popular with people on dates, families, and if your out drinking and need a bite to drink. At the end of the meal they come and count your plates and price everything according to the color/type of the plates. What's awesome is they it's pretty affordable - really great sushi and other foods for 3 adults was about $35.

    It was really a great day with sun, art, family, and food..... But it was all going too great. On our bullet train back to Shinagawa, we kind of rushed to get off the train - it was late, Maisie was getting fussy - we go through the gates and walk to the end of the station and I realize I DON'T HAVE MY PURSE!!! I left it on the train...... Lucky for us, the last stop was in Tokyo, just one stop over. We talk to someone, they call the office in Tokyo and they find the purse! We head over to Tokyo station and everything in my purse was still there. My wallet, brand new cell phone, the rental cell phone, mine and Steven's sunglasses, and about $450 cash. AND MY FAVORITE PURSE!! It would have been a very sad trip if I lost all that so close to the end of my vacation. But all was well and thanks to everyone who helped me get my stuff back!!
    Read more