Satellite
  • Day 4

    3 town day

    October 7, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Yesterday we hiked 1/2 way to the town south of us to find the trail washed out along the ocean. So we trekked back to the train station and hitched a ride. We probably walked the same distance from Corniglia to Manarola. The first part from Corniglia from the town to sea level directly down some stairs. The rest was relatively level. Had a great time touring the city. Lunch was spaghetti with meat sauce. Great. Ordered what we thought was lemonade, but was a lemon flavour shooter. Met a nice couple from Wisconsin at the next table. Margot bought a nice sweater and some scarfs. Train back to Corniglia for a nap before dinner. Wound up in a bar just before early closing and had ravioli for dinner. Reservations are needed on the weekends.
    Today was the 3 town day including Corniglia. We trekked north to Vernazza. A 3km hike that the guide said would take 1 1/2 hours. I laughed as I repeated this to Margot. Well it took us one hour 20 not including the break for fresh squeezed orange juice at the 1/2 way point. Toured the town with a pizza lunch break. Next with took a train to the most northen of the Cinque terre towns, Monterosso. A busy place with a beach for showing off the most skin and little fabric as one could. Had a gelati break. Temps today were low 20s. Train back to Corniglia for a nap. We've walked each way to the train station here by road to avoid the stairs down to the trail. 3/4 mile each way. Photos are from yesterday as Max per post is 6. Running 6 miles each morning before a day of walking has played havoc on my quads. Basically 900 ft of climb over 3 miles. Then to run down hill as well. There is no flat portions.
    Read more