Satellite
  • Day 5

    Prague here we come :)

    May 5, 2018 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we had a leisurely get up, packing up our suitcases once again to move on to the next destination. Amazingly we managed to find our way back to the train station with no problems. With an hour to kill we decided to look round the shops in the station. It was then off to platform 3 to board our train to Prague. When we first boarded the train it was packed full of people with every seating compartment full and so it was a painful 1hr perching on our suitcases, the floor, against a wall, stood up, basically we just couldn’t get comfy and being in front of the toilet door just didn’t help the situation. A quick game of eye spy and an episode of Orange is the new black lightened the mood and made time fly.

    Finally we reached the first stop off where the majority of people disembarked the train so into our own little compartment we went with our cases 😁😁😁. The journey was beautiful crossing through the bohemian Switzerland national park which is on the border between Germany and the Czech Republic.

    At 3.35pm we arrived into Prague! After figuring out how to use the underground and what ticket we needed it was off to find our apartment. We had to collect the keys from a cafe across the road. We were in and decided to have an hour having a nap (travelling and sitting on a train doing nothing is surprisingly tiring) 😂 All rejuvenated we put nicer, fresher clothes on and boarded the metro taking us into the old town of Prague.

    The first sight we found was Charles bridge over the Vltava river, looking at it from another bridge. We then wandered a bit further and found ourselves in the old town square containing the astronomical clock of Prague and lots of restaurants where we then decided to have some food. Just our luck it is marathon day tomorrow in prague 😂 so we will see how easy it is to get around in the morning.

    After a lovely meal we walked further into the old town around all the side streets looking in the shops, searching for bars and finding the nicest looking sweet shop whereby every sweet had been placed in a specific position fo create patterns. Considering Prague is stag central we saw hundreds of stag dos but couldn’t figure out which bars they were coming from. Our solution... follow them... we eventually found a nice cocktail bar, which was also an art gallery, (the bar made out of leaves and moss) where we sat and had a cocktail. When finished we walked a bit further to find ourselves actually crossing over charles bridge looking at Prague castle in the distance and for a brief second believing we had walked to France with what looked like the Eiffel tower in front of us. After a quick google we found out it was the Petřín Lookout Tower which was in fact inspired by the Eiffel Tower and looks out across prague and on a clear day across the whole of bohemia.

    It was approaching the last train time so we found our way back to the train station and made our way back to the apartment, leah and I sleeping on a double bed bunk and Katie on the sofa bed. Night.
    Read more