Satellite
  • Day 5

    Las Cataratas del Iguazú (Iguazú Falls)

    February 14, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Tues, Feb 14th: We got up early and our cab driver Pablo met us at 8:30am to take us over to Iguazú Falls. Iguazú Falls is the largest waterfall system in the world. It was busy right away with lots of families. We knew the forecast had rain in it (all day) and it held true. We needed our rain jackets immediately. There was a steady rain from the start, so we were grateful for being prepared (hats and rain jackets were key!). We decided to head over to the train that takes you to La Gargantuan del Diablo (The Devil's Throat) - this is where half of the Iguazú River's flow falls - it is U-shaped and is approx 2,300 feet by 500 feet by 250 feet. It is crazy powerful and with the steady rain made it even more so. The water falls so intensely that water then kicks back up and sprays in the air. This was time consuming to get to - and if you don't like bridges, this entire place is not for you - especially getting to The Devil's Throat. You have to walk about 3/4 mile on nearly all bridge (only a couple of spots you are on land). The bridges throughout the park are very stead, however are made of metal, so can be slippery (especially in rain)...so tread lightly and use the rails. Next we took the Upper Circuit, which showed great panoramic views of the park and the many falls.

    There are small stands throughout the park to grab food at. We also found shelter from the downpours. You see many wildlife here - we saw catfish in the river, a crocodile, small animals called coaties (which are not at all afraid of humans - do NOT feed them or they will not leave you alone. A woman near by us threw food to them and they will actually get up on the table right next to you and probably take food right from your hand). We also saw some monkeys in the trees. So make sure you take time to look up and look around you.

    We viewed the Lower Circuit last and it was our favorite. You get up close to the falls and there is a part at the end of the Lower Circuit where you can stand very close and feel the power of them. Hold onto your hat! You also will get wet (although we already were, since it was raining/downpouring nearly the whole day).

    We ended our day at the falls with stopping at the Sheraton - it is the only hotel that is within the Iguazú National Park. We thought about staying there, but it is very expensive and we decided that while it is nice (and had great food - we had a light snack there) it looks just like any other hotel, except you can see the falls in the distance. We felt we had a better and more magical experience staying in the Iguazu area.

    We ended our day opting for dinner at the resort - of course more steak :) The service was great and the food was amazing. We really enjoyed our stay at Loi Suites and would recommend it to anyone.
    Read more