Satellite
  • Day 58

    Whitsunday Islands

    March 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 26 °C

    After breakfast we sailed to Tongue Bay. It was still windy but due to the direction we went by engine, it was really hot in the cabin and the swell was big, so quite a few of us was feeling a bit sea sick, even with medication.
    At Tongue Bay we were put a shore and walked to Hill Inlet to look at Whitehaven Beach, which has some of the whitest sand in the world as it is 98 % Silica, which is why NASA had one of it telescopes build using sand from Whitehaven Beach.
    We then made our way to the beach where we split up and did our own thing. I went into the water to do a bit of body surfing, so did some of the others.
    Back in Tongue Bay we were picked up and now set sail to go to Blue Pearl Bay. Close to the bay we had to cross which meant more work, so Laurens and Stuart tightened the rope that made the boom cross, and Myf and I trimmed the sail.
    As the ship crossed our high side became our low side and vise versa, this gave a huge reaction from some of the girls, and the climb to the new high side was challenging for some.
    In Blue Pearl Bay we went for some snorkeling, it was easy to see the devastation caused by a cyclone some time ago as the ocean floor was littered with broken coral. However, there was still plenty of fish, and I got to swim in school of blue and silver fish with bright yellow tail fins.
    We went by engine to Stonehaven and anchored for the night, had dinner and kept running up and down the stairs as the weather was continuously changing. It was a good relaxed evening and Emily, Aaron, and I were very silly when we went to bed and creeped a few of the others out.
    Read more