Satellite
  • Day 8

    Castello Sforzesco, Milan

    September 6, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    As much as I like our accommodation, I was not impressed with the misleading information about it being two minutes from the train line that goes to Milan. It actually is two minutes from A train line but not the one that goes into the centre of Milan. That train line was a good twenty minute walk away, and the area we are in feels a bit odd. Not really sure how to describe it. Nice buildings, green tree lined streets, but completely empty. There is no one about and at not far from where we are staying is a huge complex surrounded with security fencing that looks like a hospital, but still no people. It is a very odd feeling walking the streets to the train station - once we finally found the train station that is. But we did eventually find it.

    The metro itself is an experience with the trains being quite old and not having air conditioning. All the windows were open, but the noise was excessive. Not really a pleasant train ride and we were a bit frazzled by the time we made it to Milan central. But all those feelings evaporated as we climbed the Metro steeps and saw the Duomo right in front of us. Seeing the photos does not fully display the sheer size of the Cathedral and I did not expect it to take my breath away with excitement.

    However, this was not our first stop for the day so we didn’t linger for too long. We would be returning to fully experience and admire the Duomo at a later date. We made our way to Castello Sforzesco, the core of which was built between 1358 and 1368. Originally built as a fortress, it was enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries and was rebuilt after it was destroyed in 1447. It was rebuilt as a castle by Francesco Sforza who made himself Duke of Milan in 1450.

    While not as elaborate as some of the other sites we have visited so far, it certainly made up for that in the size of the site. It was a pleasant start to our day with the only downside being the heat and the heat haze, making it a bit harder to photograph and enjoy the extensive gardens that are a part of the Castello Sforzesco grounds.
    Read more