Satellite
  • Day 36

    Galleria Sciarra, Rome

    October 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    When we were in Rome last year we had lunch near a gated courtyard and we could glimpse through the gates some amazing frescoes. This year I found out what it was and we got to experience it from the inside.

    Located just a few steps away from the Trevi Fountain is this largely unknown courtyard that transports visitors back to the height of the Art Nouveau movement. Its gorgeous frescoes and brilliant colours are a feast for the eyes and a welcome change from the pale, faded ancient Roman ruins scattered throughout the city.

    The opulent courtyard was built in the late 19th century for the wealthy, influential Sciarra family. It was meant to be a shopping mall, which, had the mall come to fruition, would perhaps be one of the most beautiful shopping centers in Rome. Every inch of the four-story walls enclosing the space is covered by colorful frescoes of women and men surrounded by elegant, curling floral designs. The women are the main focus, as the gorgeous artwork, which was painted by Giuseppe Cellini, is intended to celebrate women in the various phases of life.

    The glass and iron ceiling lets sunlight spill into the courtyard, illuminating the details in the frescoes. It was something a bit different to see in Rome.
    Read more