Satellite
  • Day 41

    Capri

    October 9, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    What an amazing day. On the recommendation of friends we decided to do a boat tour today to Capri and it was simply brilliant!! Absolutely breathtaking!! There were only five other couples so it wasn’t a big group. We got to sit up front and enjoy the ride over to Capri, riding the waves and admiring the scenery. Our tour guide then took us around the island, taking us into the White Grotto and Green Grotto, the Love Grotto and through the stone archway of the Faraglioni di Mezzo.

    And when I say he took us into the Grottoes, we were in so far we could touch the walls of the caves. Our skipper was excellent. He would go in front first so those on the front of the boat could experience the grottos and then he would reverse in so those sat at the back would not miss out. The color and clarity of the water around Capri is astounding. It's absolutely beautiful. The colors are so rich and vivid.

    First stop was the Grotta Bianca, the White Grotto, filled with stalactites and stalagmites, where the limestone rock seems to reflect only white rays of light, thus giving the cave its name. If you squint you can see a statue of the Virgin Mary in the stalagmites.

    We then passed Capri's most iconic sight, the dramatic Faraglioni, three towering rock formations which jut out from the Mediterranean just off the coast. We sailed right through the stone archway and legend has it that if you're with your sweetheart, be sure to exchange a kiss while passing through for good luck, so we did.

    The Grotta Verde, the Green Grotto, was next and this earned its name from the green light upon the rocks. This effect is due to blue light reflected and transmitted from the water, playing upon the yellowish-hued sides and roof of the cave. Once again the colour of the water was breathtaking.

    To complete our boat ride prior to spending time on Capri we went into the Love Grotto, named for the heart shape on the cave walls. Not as deep or as impressive as the others but still cool to see.

    Capri is a pretty town filled with lots of colour, from the lovely lush gardens as we disembark to the pastel colours of the buildings. It is a typical tourist town with lots of shops and restaurants along the water front and it was a beautiful day to meander through the shops. We took the funicular up to the top to admire the views, before heading back down to enjoy lunch and a few drinks on the waterfront. (Lesson learnt - just because food prices are cheap, doesn’t mean the drink prices will be.) It was a very relaxing afternoon with our view of the boats bobbing on the blue sea. What a truly fabulous day!!
    Read more