Satellite
  • Day 49

    B&B Solosud, Matera

    October 17, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    After a relaxing morning in Alberobello we said goodbye to our fabulous host, Daniela and her partner, and hit the road again. We had a wonderful stay in our Trulli hut and absolutely loved the town. It was a great three day stay but our journey must continue.

    Brad is getting very good at driving like an Italian and I’m not sure that is a good thing but he got us to our next destination in one piece. Tonight’s stop-over is at Matera, the town we viewed from the distance on our stop on the way to Alberobello. Matera is a very unique town and so is our accomodation. It is amazing, which is why it is getting its own post.

    We are staying at B&B Solosud, a Sassi house in old Matera. Sassi houses are houses dug into the calcarenitic rock, carved out of the caves and cliffs. While we have appreciated the authentic old Italian styling of some of our previous accomodation this one is styled to perfection. We are staying in a house that was most likely the home for the ancient Materians over 9000 years ago and while it still retains the charm of the original dwelling it has been tastefully renovated and decorated. And it has everything you could possibly want for an overnight stay. We just wish we were staying longer.

    The owner Paola is a lovely Italian lady who lived in Sydney for ten years many years ago and she speaks fabulous English. She made us feel very welcome and gave us heaps of tourist information and guides. It certainly makes a difference to your stay when you start your visit with great service.

    And the added bonus is the location. The view out of our front door is across the gully to the cave riddled mountains and overlooking the square below with the church and piazza. It is the perfect location for sightseeing, restaurants, or to just admire the view.

    The B&B Solosud is definitely in our top three of places we have stayed and we have stayed at some fabulous places. We would recommend this place to anyone in a heartbeat.
    Read more