Satellite
  • Day 19

    Burano, Venice

    September 17, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Even though we visited Burano and Murano last time we were in Venice, I really wanted to go again as they were two of the highlights last year. And Burano was as pretty as I remembered, if not prettier. Less people and bright blue skies made for a very memorable day.

    We enjoyed a stroll around the island, admiring and photographing the very cute colourful houses, Burano’s main eye-catcher. Burano is an island where a lot of fishermen used to live. According to a local legend they chose to paint their houses in different colors so that they could see them from far away while they were fishing. That way they could always get home safely in case of dense fog.

    Fun facts about Burano:

    Burano was very important in the sixteenth century because of its refined lace production. The best known user of this lace was undoubtedly Leonardo da Vinci, who used it for the main altar of the Duomo of Milan.

    If a resident of Burano wants to paint his or her house, they must submit a special request to the government. Then they get a number of colors available from which they can choose.

    In total, almost 3000 people live in Burano. Not much if you know that the total number of inhabitants of Venice and the surrounding islands is about 60,000.

    I loved that we revisited this beautiful island and after wandering around we sat and enjoyed a very delicious meal while we chatted to some Aussies sat at the table next to us. We would happily visit again.
    Read more