Satellite
  • Day 49

    Chiesa di San Pietro Caveoso, Matera

    October 17, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We checked out the Chiesa di San Pietro Caveoso, the Catholic Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The origin of the church has never been fully confirmed and while it was a religious site dating back to the 8th century it is believed that construction dates back to 1218. From the outside it is the sort of church you would want as a backdrop to your wedding photos as it is so picturesque.

    While it doesn’t feel that big inside, it does have some beautiful and unique features and works of art. Some of the features are amazing, with the most eye-catching being the painted wooden panel ceiling decorated with remarkable works by local artists.
    However, I am still trying to determine if Matera is playing one big April Fools Day joke on everyone. The sculptures and art work in here have a very unique style, with some making you question the history behind them. With the image behind the font looking like Jesus is getting a shoulder ride, another of babies being boiled in a pot and the sculpture on the front of the church looks like a statue of Mary with some alien children, it seems someone had a sense of humor when decorating the church. Very unique to say the least.

    While the Chiesa di San Pietro Caveoso isn’t full of amazing, well known art works and isn’t overly decorated it was still a great church to visit. I still can’t believe we have visited so many churches on this trip so far, as they certainly weren’t on the agenda, but I love how different they all are and the unique charm they have. They really portray the stories of the region.
    Read more