Satellite
  • Day 29

    Streets of Siena

    September 27, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    After the tower climb, we explored the cobblestone streets of Siena, admiring so much about the town. The views from just outside the Piazza, overlooking the Tuscan hillside, the churches in the distance and back towards the tower were breathtaking. We are in a truly beautiful part of the world.

    There is so much to admire in the little details as well - even the grates on the gutters are amazingly intricate! The elaborate alters built on the front of the buildings, the plaques and loggias, everything is so beautifully adorned and skilfully created. It is a feast for the eyes.

    One thing I did notice about Siena was the lack of trees in the historic centre. There appears to be just one tree and that is it. It certainly stands out against the stonework, growing up towards the sun, surrounded by buildings. You actually don’t notice the absence of trees until you see this one. I’m not sure what the significance of this tree is, but it is being looked after and encouraged to grow.

    There is such an ease about exploring Siena and it is such a great town to explore without getting lost. We love it here and like most of the places we have visited so far, we wish we had longer to get to know her better.
    Read more