Satellite
  • Day 12

    Popayán

    May 25, 2015 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    I'm now adopting the Colombian habit of “madrugar“ (= getting up really early) every day, since with all the distances between the places I am visiting I would lose way too much time otherwise, as well because it's getting dark really early in Colombia. Therefore, my usual time for waking up has become between 5 and 6am.
    Since in Cali nevertheless I used to stay up until midnight, Popayán was rather a relaxing point. When I arrived around 11am, I first bought some food to cook in the hostel. Only after lunch I explored the little colonial town.
    How everywhere in the country, the traffic is terrible, but still Popayán was relaxing, because it is small enough to walk to all the points of interest. Anyways there is not that much to see, it's rather about the flair of the “ciudad blanca“ (= white city) and the two major museums. I went to one of them, the Museum of Natural History. It was really interesting, because it showed where in the country I would have the chance to see the different animals. Besides, with some of them I didn't even know that they existed in Colombia, e.g. Pumas, leopards and a great variety of snakes and birds.
    Read more