Satellite
  • Day 16

    Rio de Janeiro

    April 6, 2018 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    I didn't expect to say this, but after only a few hours in Rio I can honestly say that I understand why people are so fascinated by this city. If you tell any Brazilian that you're planning a trip to Rio, the first thing they'll say is: "Make sure to be extremely careful. Go with a local if you can. Rio is very dangerous."
    Right after that, however, they'll tell you that they love Rio, and that it still is a 100% worth going. You'll hear about the beauty of the town and people, about how you should try and hide all your valuables or just not bring them at all, about great beaches, restaurants and party, about the imprisonment of the former president, about the abundance of hiking opportunities, about wars in the favelas and homicide. You'll end up wondering if you should maybe change your travel plans in order to avoid Rio, and at the same time wanting to see this place even more.
    I am lucky enough to have friends here who would take good care of me, so I decided to go. And I don't regret it: when you lie at Leblon beach, looking at the islands and mountains, you easily forget that there's a chaotic town right behind you.
    Read more