Satellite
  • Day 112

    Tongariro Crossing/NYE

    December 31, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    I was pretty excited this year for New Years Eve. Keegan and I were heading back to National Park area to do the Tongariro Crossing. But mostly excited to bring in the new year with friends! Tanis is actually one of my oldest friends. We met back when I was 14 playing field hockey. We started out playing against each other in high school and eventually became great friends after many years of playing Provincial field hockey together. I don't get to see Tanis or her husband Josh very often because they live in Macau China. They are both elementary teachers and are going on six years away teaching, first in Korea and now for the past 4 years in Macau. This year they picked New Zealand to spend their xmas holidays which meant I also got to spend some quality time with them😊.
    We did the tongariro Crossing together and celebrated up at Whakapapa the New year. The hike basically passes between 2 volcanoes - Mt Ngaueuhue (aka mt. Doom) and tongariro, with Mt. Ruapehu in the background.
    We had incredible weather and the views were stunning! Hands down the busiest hike I have ever done but that was somewhat expected. Still so awesome and such a special day visiting and catching up with great friends:) It was the best!
    Read more