Satellite
  • Day 6

    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

    November 19, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 1 °C

    We woke today to the “pitter patter” of rain against our window. The forecast is for snow to start falling in about an hour (which it did), and the current temperature of 2 degrees Celsius is as warm as it’s going to get. In fact, they are saying that from 10 am the temperature will start falling, to a low of -7 degrees Celcius!

    🌨☃️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️☃️🌨

    Our plan is to visit the Museum of Fine Arts this morning, and then explore the “underground city” which comprises of over 1,000 stores and 22kms of walkways. So far our cold weather gear has done the trick, but today’s weather will be the real test.

    We had breakfast in a quaint little cafe called La Pendular just around the corner from the Museum, that also sold clocks and Stiff bears, and other animals. We then headed to the Montreal Museum of Fine Art - definitely the right weather to visit a museum. It has a wonderful collection of art work that is beautifully displayed. We saw art from modern avant-garde, Belle Époque and contemporary styles to Baroque and Rococo, Classicism to the Age of Enlightenment including a Napoleon Gallery and much more.

    We then headed to the ‘underground city’ and visited the Barbie Expo, the largest collection of Barbie dolls in the world. Afterwards, we wandered around the underground city, which just goes on and on.

    In the afternoon, my cousin Annick and my uncle Pierrot collected us from the hotel, and we headed to her place for a family dinner and to meet her kids for the first time. My cousin Genvieve and her family also joined us for dinner. It was lovely to catch up with them all and introduce Ian & Angus to the rest of my Canadien family. Ian and Angus went to watch Fred (one of Annick’s kids) play ice-hockey in an under 18's game, which Ian said was very entertaining to watch. After dinner the younger kids put on a show for us that included dancing and a range of gymnastics, all performed to music.

    Tomorrow we head for Washington DC (Trump territory but hopefully we won’t see him!) We will be heading into warmer weather, with Washington expecting a balmy 11 degrees Celsius, which is quite a jump from -7 degrees.
    Read more