Satellite
  • Day 13

    We walked the line.

    November 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Sunday in New York - we will get some steps in today but in may be difficult to beat yesterday’s total of 22,272 (a personal best). Another beautiful day = sunshine and blue sky, not that we see that much of the sun with the shadows of these skyscrapers! As we headed out this morning on our way to the High Line, there was a brisk wind blowing and not much sun to warm us. We walked the High Line, a linear park built on a disused rail line, admiring the scenery and the sculpture exhibition by multiple artists titled "Mutations". Some pieces were easier than others to work out ... there were even a few with explanations that I still didn’t get! Not sure if that is a reflection on me or the “art”.

    After the High Line, we headed to Chelsea Market for a bit of a browse and then had some lunch. We went to the "Green Table" restaurant who believe that the best food is grown, raised and harvested within a day’s drive of the table. The food we had was delicious and fairly priced. As we were leaving the market, we ran into the Greens who are also here on holiday, which was a nice surprise. We will catch up with them for dinner on Monday night.

    We caught the subway back up to 42nd street, and had a bit of down time before we needed to head out again for our first show on Broadway. We got up to the August Wilson Theatre only to find it closed, and no "Ground Hog Day". Apparently it closed in September after opening in April to rave reviews. The lady in the box office was very nice and helpful, and advised me that Ticketmaster would have refunded the money. I checked when we got back to our apartment, and yes it was refunded in late August. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t send an email to advise us of this. Very disappointing - I have now got a ticket to "Waitress" on Tuesday night, and the boys elected for a night in, so everyone is happy.

    As we had a free couple of hours, we decided to walk up to Central Park and take it all in. We watched with amusement as a guy let his dog off the lead and he then (the dog) had a stand off with a squirrel - the dog came off second best, as those squirrels can move at lightening speed. It didn’t deter the dog from trying to creep up on the next squirrel or bird in its sights. We also saw people ice-skating, and we may give it a go at the Rockefeller Plaza ( I used to skate when I was young, hopefully I is like riding a bike and it will all co e back to me).

    We then walked back to our apartment down 5th Avenue past Tiffany's, but I couldn’t persuade Ian to buy me anything🙁. Some of the Christmas decorations are now up and they look fabulous. We have again broken the 20,000 step barrier, and so we rewarded ourselves with a cuppa and shared a brownie from the Fat Witch.

    Tonight we went to a local restaurant (next door to our apartment) called "Un, Deux, Trois", which was very nice.

    Another big day planned for tomorrow so a good nights rest is required.
    Read more