Satellite
  • Day 175

    Zanzibari Diving

    May 22, 2016 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Jambo! This afternoon we completed two dives in the lagoon off Paje with Buccaneer Diving. The water was very choppy compared to the calm of Tioman Island, but it was worth it nonetheless. We saw some unique and beautiful coral landscapes more diverse than what we've seen before. Rachel especially enjoyed the sea anemones of many different kinds and colors. We went on the search for seahorses in a sandy plain with some intermittent seaweed, and we saw three of them; that was so cool to see them in their natural habitat. Another highlight was seeing a sizeable octopus hiding in a hole in the coral; it was changing colors between dark and light, presumably in an attempt at camouflage. Nick also spotted a ray that quickly fled when it realized we were getting nearer. Also interesting were lionfish and some very small and very colorful lobster type animals. After the dives, we joined the Germans from our dive trip for beers and dinner, and we had an enjoyable evening exchanging travel stories and cultural perspectives.

    We are currently scheduled to dive again on Tuesday, but if the water remains this choppy the guide said they would be doing the same two dives. If that's the case, we wouldn't want to do these dives again in the same weather so are talking about a day snorkel trip to Mnemba Atoll, where everyone tells us you can see amazing things from the surface. Tomorrow, though, is the last mostly sunny day on the island so we're going to enjoy the sunshine on the beach!
    Read more