Satellite
  • Day 5

    Day 1 of Camino De Santiago!

    September 2, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    If I had one word to describe today it would be "wow". Although I barely slept in the hostel last night (shared rooms really suck), it was an awesome day. I met a polish girl at the hostel in the morning, and we ended up walking together the entire day. At first I wasn't too keen on walking with someone, but after a while I was so happy we had found each other as the day just flew by! We talked about our countries, purpose for doing the camino and travels. We had a wonderful lunch by the sea. After 25km she was quite tired so decided to stop for the night in Vila Do Conde where most pilgrims were stopping. I said I would too if they had two single rooms. She did not like the shared rooms either and wanted to sleep alone tonight. They only had one room available so I told her she could have it and I would keep going as I had the energy to do so and something was telling me to do it. We exchanged numbers, hugged and wished each other a buen camino. We hope to cross each other again.

    Little did I know continuing the walk would make me fall on this amazing town! This town has the feel of a Portuguese Quebec City it's quite strange. The owner of my hostel is from France so was so happy she could speak French to someone! She upgraded me to a big room because I was doing the camino (but I honestly think it's because I was French like her lol). She introduced me to all the guests and offered suggestions on where to eat. I toured the town and noticed a Ferris wheel next to the casino and not too far from the bull fighting arena (I know - this town has everything possible!!) So I decided to hop on. What a view! I ended the night with an amazing dinner and amazing conversations with the restaurant staff as they knew Marlene (my French hostel owner) and were very friendly!

    Back at the hostel in my private room and I think I will sleep very well tonight... 😍

    Ps. I think I should pace myself on walking for the days to come - I don't want to be done this camino in only a week! 😐 lol
    Read more