Satellite
  • Day 14

    Blarney

    May 23, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Last day of the tour today and everyone was feeling rather sad to be leaving Dominic. He's been a wonderful driver, guide and historian and it's clear we will all miss him. We planned a surprise for him tonight. The group ( 22 were American, one Englishman & two Aussies) was terrific - there were no problems of any sort and people got along really well.
    Went for a walk before breakfast - crisp and cool but clear blue sky. Tried to find the mural of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, who had saved many Allied POWs & Jews from the Gestapo but could only find the statue. He was responsible for the safety of over 6,000 people when he worked at the Vatican during WWII. The movie The Scarlet and the Black, starring Gregory Peck, was about his life and he was much-loved in Killarney.
    Drove to Blarney Castle and of. Purse on the way it started to rain and rain heavily!! We spent our time in the gardens, which are beautiful but much too extensive to cover in a couple of hours. We did NOT kiss the stone!! Had lunch at the Blarney Woollen Mills and looked around the shop - the largest Irish shop in Ireland and it WAS big!!
    Then to our hotel to freshen up before the drive to Howth and dinner and the show at the Abbey Tavern. The show was sensational - a singer, fiddler, guitarist and four absolutely startling dancers who have danced in Lord of the Dance. It was the best night and a fitting way to end our tour. When we were back on the bus we sang a song (to the tune of Danny Boy) one of the group had written for Dominic and he was, for once, speechless. It was a lovely way to part company with this man who had be one our friend over the previous nine days.
    We have three nights left here before leaving Ireland.
    The first shot is Monsignor O'Flaherty's statue in Killarney, second is Blarney Castle, third an installation in the Poison Garden, fourth some rhododendrons and the last two are from the fantastic show at the Abbey Tavern.
    Read more