Satellite
  • Day 33

    Bardstown

    June 11, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Haven't had a walk for a few days so after breakfast we headed to Bernheim Arboretum., not far from here. It's 15,000 acres of trees & gardens and was so peaceful as there were hardly any people about. We walked around the 32 acre lake which is populated by many, many Canada geese. Saw a turtle burrowing in the mud but when he heard us he pulled his head in!
    We walked to the vegetable garden that is manned by volunteers and used to teach people about sustainable gardening. The food is also used in the cafe. Last weekend Bernheim tried to break the Guinness record for the largest number of tree huggers (we're not sure if they made it) and there were some huggers still there!! Had a nice lunch in the cafe in the building designed by Carolne Kennedy's husband and has a grass roof.
    Ron and I then went to the enormous indoor/outdoor flea market. We'd been there before but we won't be going again! The big change was that there were no guns for sale and there was a sign saying it is illegal to sell them on the grounds. There were, however, a couple of stalls selling very nasty knives of all types.
    Some shots from around Bernheim,including one of the tree huggers.
    Read more