Satellite
  • Few days boating

    February 22, 2019 on the Philippines ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We spent another few days in Coron. One day we just took easy and went to a local beach and then climbed 721 stairs to the viewpoint over the city. It was a very sweaty walk, even though we did it later in the day.

    Then we ended up on a private yacht ...as you do! Our friend Skinku has a yacht in a boatyard back in Cebu and someone he met at the boatyard had brought his catermeran down to Coron, so we spent two days sailing around the local islands with him and his dad. We hired a 'Chariot' vehicle to drive there, which was an adventure of its own. It is like a TukTuk, or what is known as Habul-Habul here- a carriage attached to a 125cc motorbike. It was a bumpy ride and very well driven by Shinku. The journey took about an hour from Coronary to Conception, where the boat was anchored.

    He is an Irish captain of a brand new boat that he has just put into the water, with family visiting from the UK ,so it was a bit of an adventure for all of us. It is a beautiful boat and very nice sailing experience. It was really nice to be back on the water this way. Marla and I were negotiating crew jobs with the captain, but I have since decided not to go down that route as it was a very boosey couple of days and I would rather not live on a boat with alcohol having such a high presence in every day.....so I will indeed go back to the real world and my job at home.

    (Speaking of which I have just booked my flight home on April 8th, I have my first shift back at work on April 11th. And I have found somewhere temporary to live so that I can find a permanent new home once I am back and able to view places. )

    We sailed to Pass Island one day and Pamalican Island the second day. Pamalican island was beautiful as it had no other boats there. The islands in this area are incredibly beautiful, white sands, turquoise sea and surrounded by coral. But they are often littered with tourists and boats, which takes away some of the beauty. So it was great to find a spot no own else was at.
    Read more