Satellite
  • Day 3

    Catacombs and cathedrals

    October 6, 2017 in Malta ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    First stop are the tiny catacombs of St Cataldus, where there is no information but we can take pictures.

    And then it's on to the much bigger catacombs of St Agatha. We join a tour and learn a lot about catacombs : nobles and the rich have the central tombs, the middle class are in tombs around the walls and the poor were in tombs donated by the rich but in areas like corridors. If two tombs are together but there is no wall between then, that depicts that they were married, a wall and they weren't, priests were in tombs in the chapels. There are still remnants of paintings from two thousand years ago. The catacombs are huge but we are shown only a small but significant part, there's nothing in the remaining section that we haven't seen. So interesting to see but no photo taking is allowed.

    After that we return to the Classic Cars again, and then visit the cathedral and the cathedral museums, which had a lot of stuff on display but not much in the way of explanations so we whistled through fairly quickly. As we came out the Classic Cars were beginning to leave which was fun to see and hear - vroom, vroom!
    Read more