Satellite
  • Day 4

    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

    December 18, 2014 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    For those of you who know us, you will remember we set out just about 19 years ago to go around the world on our 38 foot sailboat Phantasie. We left from San Francisco and headed south to Mexico. When we arrived at Bahia de Navidad (the usual hopping off spot for those crossing the Pacific) we realized that we were going much too slow to go around the world in the two years that we had allowed. We knew that we couldn't speed up without ruining the great experience we were having so far. We decided to put it off until we went cruising again.
    Well, times have changed. The Indian Ocean is not really safe for cruisers and we really want to spend time in the Med but the nagging wonder of what was out there and what we would have seen persists.
    A little over a year ago we found a cruise line and a particular itinerary that really interested us. We also convinced (with very little prodding) some great friends to go with us. So began the odyssey we just labeled "The World Cruise".
    From Woodstock, VA we set out to go around the world without flying. Our journey begins on water here in Ft. Lauderdale.
    Today we will board the Silver Whisper and travel for 4.5 months until we arrive back at Ft. Lauderdale. We will see some 50+ countries and make around 120 ports. We, and our traveling companions Jeff and Ali Carithers, will bring you the highlights here.
    To start here is a shot of South Beach, Miami. Beautiful weather, scenery and art deco buildings made a great pre-cruise vacation even better.
    See you along the way.

    Jim
    Read more