Satellite
  • Day 66

    Calca and excursion to Lares

    December 13, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    After climbing down from Machu Picchu and just in time catching the train to Ollantaytambo, things happened fast. We hopped into a private car to Urubamba and then took a public bus to Calca, where we wanted to stay for a day or so to enjoy a not so touristy place in the Valle Sagrado. It was a top choice!

    We found a great little hostel owned and run by Ivan (San Francis hospedaje directly at the corner of the main square). Iwan was very hospitable and treated us to great coffee which he roasts and processes himself. We also got to know his dog chili and had enough space in the room to fix the leaky mattress - Bertram showing some serious repairman skills :-)

    He then advised us to go to Lares and enjoy the hot springs there. The best thing for us: camping on-site next to the pools was possible!

    Thus, we hurried across the market to get some food (again, with Iwan’s help) and boarded a minibus... only to wait 1.5 hours until it departed :-)

    Reaching Lares through an incredible mountain drive (highest point was 4,600m above sea level), we quickly pitched the tent and jumped into the water :-) Heaven!
    Read more