Satellite
  • Day 157

    Day two on the slowboat

    March 14, 2018 in Laos ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Day two of our travel upstream towards Huay Xai was as peaceful and serene as yesterday. The boat was a bit different -> no moving seats meant that it was a bit more complicated to lie down or find any comfortable position to sleep in. We also noticed that it started to get cooler as we moved further north in Laos.
    After we got off the boat we both did some yoga. After two days stuck sitting around really yearned for a bit more movement. Newly certified Anna created a session for Bertram and it was a great experience doing yoga on the terrace of our guesthouse overlooking the Mekong.

    We’re now in Huay Xai, right on the Mekong river. Across the river is Thailand and about 50km further north is Myanmar. Those two countries are not on our list for this journey, but we’ve already decided to return so hopefully we’ll see them then :-)
    Tomorrow we’ll start a three day hike/zip line adventure through one of Laos’ national parks. We’ll sleep in treehouses and hike as well as zip line through the Laotian forests. The guides that accompany us are supposedly former animal hunters who have found better (and more animal friendly) employment as “safari guides”. The organization is called “The Gibbon experience” and while we’re not sure we’ll actually get to see gibbons in the wild, we so hope to see and hear some interesting wildlife as we sleep high in the treehouses :-)
    Read more