Satellite
  • Day 163

    Great 2. day kayaking on Nam Ha river

    March 20, 2018 in Laos ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Day two on the river started leisurely. Anna did yoga again while Bertram froze a bit longer on the mattress in our eco lodge :-) (It was quite chilly during the night.)

    Breakfast was quick and tasty: rice with eggs and tomato - Anna was joined by a group of apparently hungry village dogs...

    We got going at ~09:30 and kayaked through some difficult sections. The water in dry season is quite low and we had to navigate with care in order not to sit on a rock :-) Today, we switched roles and Anna was the steering person in the back while Bertram maneuvered in the front. The new setup resulted in Bertram being attacked twice with Anna’s blade but we soon arranged ourselves :-)

    On the way through the jungle we stopped at a second village where we went to also visit the school - consisting of 5 children only :-) It almost felt like a private lesson :-)

    We had a great trip along the river and chose another nice picnic spot that also allowed bathing in a pool of deeper and more quiet water. The remaining section until the third village was easy and we even beat the guides in the final kayak race (maybe they let us win...)

    Upon arrival we learned that our tuk tuk broke down. So we sat and waited (some sleeping in the kayak) for the new tuk tuk. When we finally drove back to Luang Namtha it became clear that this road had cost a lot of tuk tuks their lives: very steep, curvy, and with immense numbers of pot holes.

    Back in Luang Namtha we first drank coffee, then got to the hotel and finally ate dinner at the open air night market.
    Read more