Satellite
  • Day 177

    Express but extensive visit to Shiraz

    April 3, 2018 in Iran ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We left Persepolis in the late morning and treated ourselves to a taxi ride to Shiraz (~1 hour and 8 Euro :-)). Upon arrival we checked in and got going to explore the city as we had now planned to join our Catalan friends for a 2-day hike as of tomorrow. So no more time than today!

    We first walked in the semi-deserted streets around noon as everybody hid away from the sun :-) perfect timing ;-) we walked to the main mosque near the old bazaar which had beautifully designed columns in the prayer hall.

    Afterwards we walked into the bazaar (mostly for the shade not for the wares) and reached a shrine on the northern side of the (dried out - like many others we have seen so far) river. Anna got another chador to wear and we were allowed to take pictures of the blinking mirrors inside. We then made it even further outside of the center and went to the mausoleum of famous Iranian poet Hafez. Essentially, it is a park with an octagonal pavilion housing the tomb. It was okay...

    Back in town we had a coffee (and Bert a nap ;-)) and we went to get some business done: exchange money and book a domestic flight to Tabriz for April 5. All was accomplished successfully :-)

    We now had another drink at the bazaar plaza (Anna dared the local specialty called Joulep: Rose water (of course, it is EVERYWHERE :-)), saffron (dito), orange blossom extract (the Shiraz specialty), and chia seeds - plus a fair amount of sugar :-) and will later head to a small local restaurant before getting to bed early for tomorrow’s hike!

    Like on so many days, we again met very friendly Iranians who chat us up, wanting to know where we are from and whether they can help us. We met one lady who actually lives in Germany and is now visiting her family in Iran. Another gentleman found us as we studied the map in our guidebook and immediately proceeded to tell us which sights are worth visiting and which are not :-) All in all - apart from the annoying sellers in Isfahan - we only met friendly people here, eager to talk to foreigners and to help us as we visit their country.
    Read more