Satellite
  • Day 63

    See you later Wellington

    June 23, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    This past week has been a pretty huge range of emotions.

    On Saturday, after a little chat with an amazing kiwi that I have met I decided to give my notice at the hostel that I have been working at for the past 4 amazing weeks. I was planning on heading up North a bit before coming back down to Wellington for my birthday. It was meant to re-energize myself before getting back into the job hunt mindset and really push my CV hard to recruitment agencies and every building in the area with jobs.

    Then my computer broke on Sunday, which was mildly frustrating. After bringing it to a repair shop and then being told it was trash I considered for a while not getting a new one. But in the end after looking at the prices of computers here I decided to put a little money into a new computer. Nothing special, just one that will run internet and will be able to let me send my resume to various places on the go.

    With my new computer in hand I found a job that I am actually qualified for, an ice rink attendant and ice skate tutor. I was so excited and sent them a pretty long email of why they should consider me which worked because about an hour later I got an email back asking which time would work best for an interview! YES!!!!! After the interview, they asked for references and about 24 hours later they offered me the job. Only issue is that I already had a ticket to leave Wellington in the opposite direction on Sunday so I asked if I could start late next week rather than early in order to get my things settled which worked for both sides because they said it might take a little bit for them to find me accommodation.

    The day that I sent out my signed contract, I received a call from a different job that were really interested in me and wanted me to work for six months in Wellington. It would have been an accounting job and I would have been able to stay in Wellington but I feel like it would be similar to something that I would do back home and I wanted to really try something different while I am here.

    The issue is that it is going to be a challenge for a bit leaving my friends that I have spent the better part of one month with. This also means that I won't be in Wellington for my birthday which I was starting to really get excited for. That is until someone mentioned that I could always come back if I can get two days off in a row because it really isn't too far to do a little weekend trip. But if I don't get the chance, I will be back in three short months anyways with a bucket full of new stories and experiences.

    If all goes as planned I am supposed to head out to a rink today to make sure that I didn't forget how to skate in the past couple of months and also try and teach one of the guys here to skate backwards. Hopefully it all goes well!

    I have included a couple of pictures of where I will be heading for those who are curious.
    Read more