Satellite
  • Day 2

    Pompeii

    May 2, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    After a good night with only small need for ear plugs, we set off for Garibaldi Station to catch the train to Pompeii. We caught the 10.07 and enjoyed coastal views. Arriving at Pompeii we took the shuttle to the archaeological site. After €5 a cup Cafes we entered the old ruined city and were blown away by the scale, not only of the size of the whole site but the scale of the buildings and state of preservation. The whole place was truly amazing.
    We entered by the teatro which also housed the gladiators accommodation, the teatro had a roof originally to improve acoustics. There is roman grafitti in the plaster walls as you leave. Then we were on to well-worn Roman streets on a neat grid system, the surface made of large fitted stones of lava and you could also see tracks worn by carts and there are stepping stone to aid pedestrian crossing. There are countless grand villas, with entrances ways decorated with mosaics, atria with pool beneath, tables, beautiful decorated walls and gardens to the rear. There is a laundry and several fast-food outlets. A vineyard, orchard and huge enclosed training ground. At the far end is the 20,000 seat amfiteatro, the first ever and half sunk in the ground, so you go down through a tunnel to enter.
    Lunch was of local cheeses and salad on stone seats. Then we crossed the city towards the Forum and central temples. The city was famously enveloped by pyroclastic ash and gas cloud in 79 AD. This killed the occupants who were taken by surprise, and buried buildings for nearly 2,000 years, preserving many things as they were.
    The scale and sophistication defy description.
    Our journey back was by the Cicumvesuvium line, which was much more crowded and basic than going. Quick supermarket sweep and we dined on chicken and chips with local Fiano and Malvasia Nera wine.
    The day was not done as we found a small bar for post dinner drinks, grappa, beer and watery carafe of wine. Liverpool just scraped past Roma into the final of the Champions League.
    The locals outside the bar opposite get louder as the evening progressed and were still going strong at 3am, making the ear plugs provided an essential.
    Read more