Satellite
  • Day 2

    Stanley Park and Granville Island

    May 19, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The day dawned calm and a little grey, with all the Windsor royal wedding action on TV. We decided to walk the sea wall walk round the edge of Stanley Park starting at the lost lagoon ( it lost its seawater around 100 years ago). There were two large cruise ships in and our first stop, totems, was a little overwhelmed by Singaporeans with scarves on. There was a good spot to watch the float planes takeoffs. We found a cafe opening a little further on then climbed up under the suspension bridge to Prospect Point. Here it brightened up.
    From there we walked down through the woods with giant redwoods and woodpeckers in the distance. Wild flowers were in abundance and blue butterfly. The path emerged at the lost lagoon which was a mass of flag irises with some evidence of beavers and a charming black squirrel.
    Now we wondered how we would get to Granville Island our next port of call. Standing at the bus stop and puzzling over when one might come a taxi popped up - result! In no time were in the bustling market cum craft scene. First call ‘Off the Tracks’ for excellent Avo Toast with scrambled eggs accompanied by tasty tea or Granville Island IPA. Strolling round we found the most amazing art supplies shop and the public market was full of delicious fare including artisan granola squares by which we were tempted.
    The little aqua bus took us back across the water for $3 where we sat by Sunset Beach for the rest of the afternoon sketching or listening to pod casts and watching the world go by on cycles, roller blades or foot.
    Back at base we enjoyed a complementary Narrative Rose before heading up to open our bottle of Narrative Cabernet Franc/ Merlot from Okanangan which is rather delicious After 21717 steps we are not contemplating too many more to find something to eat later.
    A few steps more found us in Timber, the downmarket bar attached to the hotel, for fine fish and chips with local beers, a lager and Off the Rails pale ale. All excellent!
    Read more